It is a fact - many of us are just 2-3 paychecks away from financial disaster. The loss of a job, medical issues, and many other things can leave a family homeless, hungry, and feeling hopeless. Our mission partnership with Family Promise of Greater Des Moines is one way we assist families just like ours get back on their feet; it is a way to make sure kids and parents facing hardship feel loved and cared for in a world that seems to have gone very wrong.
We host up to three families in transition 3-4 times each year for one week each time. We will provide overnight accommodations here at the church April 8-15, 2018. We will need volunteers serving in various ways to help:
- Drivers - Family Promise has a van we use for the week. Drivers drop residents off at Westminster Presbyterian on Beaver Ave. each morning and pick them up each evening to bring them to Holy Trinity. You can even drive the van to work after pick up in the morning.
- Set Up & Clean Up Help - In the days before the week begins and after, folks set up three rooms with bedding, mattresses, etc. and then launder and put materials away.
- Meals - Each evening we provide a meal for the families we serve. We need folks to prepare something nutritious and delicious each evening and bring it to the church. Can you take an evening?
- Hosts - Individuals or families can come for an evening to play with kids, help with homework, or sometimes just be present.
- Overnight Hosts - We need to have at least two people stay overnight with the families, who have been screened. These are not people off the street, nor are they dangerous. We provide a comfy air mattress and a room in which you can stay to simply be available in case of emergency.
Watch the video below to see how this partnership works and why it is important for us all to support the work of our congregation and Family Promise.